120 minutes including a Q&A
• A certificate of completion
• The on-demand recording to watch at your convenience
• A handout in PDF format for viewing or self-printing
1. To understand and describe the quantitative and qualitative data pertaining to patients’ experiences at the end of life.
2. To describe the distinction between delirium and end of life experiences.
3. To describe the psychological and spiritual preparation dream states near the end of life.
4. To understand and describe a simple method for inviting conversations about end-of-life experiences with patients in a healthcare setting.
5. To describe the impact of end-of-life experiences on the bereaved.
Using stories, published research and interviews, this presentation will describe the experience and meanings of patient dreams and visions at the end of life. Ms. Van Bronkhorst will explore how these experiences provide comfort for the dying as well as for their surviving family members. Please join us as Ms. Van Bronkhorst outlines a simple method healthcare workers can use, regardless of their training in dreamwork, to invite and attend to these important experiences, and improve their patient care in the final weeks and days of life.
Who Should Attend?:
• Health Care Professionals in Any Setting where End of Life May Occur
• All Palliative Care and Hospice Staff
• All Staff in Continuing and Long Term Care Settings
• Staff who work with terminally ill Children
• Physicians, Nurses, Psychologists and Social workers with an Interest in End of Life Care
• End of Life Doulas
Jeanne Van Bronkhorst, MA, MSW
Jeanne Van Bronkhorst, MA, MSW is a writer and retired medical social worker. For twenty years she worked with people facing life-threatening illness in hospitals and in hospice care, and continues to volunteer in a local hospice today. She has witnessed end-of-life dream experiences that brought the dying and their surviving families comfort, and developed a simple method for inviting people to talk from these experiences. She is the author of Dreams at the Threshold: Guidance, Comfort, and Healing at the End of Life (Llewellyn 2015) and serves on the Board of Directors for the International Association for the Study of Dreams. She presents regularly at conferences and for hospice organizations. You can learn more about Ms. Van Bronkhorst and her work at www.JeanneVanBronkhorst.com.