A: Pearls, Perils, & Pitfalls of Supplements
B: The “Vital Amines” – Vitamins
C: A Potpourri of Other Health Products
D: Probiotics, Manuka Honey, and More
4 webinars x 120 minutes including a Q&A
Includes (for each webinar):
• A certificate of completion
• The on-demand recording to watch at your convenience
• A handout in PDF format for viewing or self-printing
Nurses and Allied Health Care Professionals are relied on by patients and clients to have accurate information about the uses and effects of these products. But often, these items are marketed as having benefits that are unsubstantiated; do not carry adequate warnings when they interfere with lab tests, and may be misused by the client because they are “natural”. Using evidenced-based research, Barb will present the current clinical findings and safety of the numerous OTC products.
Topics in the “A: Pearls, Perils, & Pitfalls of Supplements ” webinar:
• Barb’s eight golden rules concerning alternative therapies and supplements
• Is this product complementary, alternative, both, or integrative?
• Great examples of how vitamins can be used to complement prescription drugs
• How omega-3 fatty acids can be used for children with ADD, ADHD
• Allergies to plants and peanuts can be a problem
• Supplements and lab tests will be discussed.
Topics in the “B: The “Vital Amines” – Vitamins” webinar:
• Is there a reason to take a multivitamin? Or should single vitamins suffice?
• Can you acquire all of your vitamin needs from a healthy diet?
• A review of the alphabet of vitamins—safe doses, killer doses, and functional doses.
• Now, for minerals: Calcium, copper, magnesium, and zinc: their functions, types and benefits/risks.
Topics in the “C: A Potpourri of Other Health Products” webinar:
• All of the “A” terms—anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatories, adaptogens, aphrodisiacs, anti-aging, anti-depressants, acupuncture, and more.
• Evaluating health claims of turmeric (curcumin), ashwagandha, alpha-linoleic acid, omega-3 fatty acids, collagen supplements, St. John’s Wort, SAMe, Botox
• All of the “G’s”—gingko, garlic, ginseng, glucosamine, and grapeseed extract.
Topics in the “D: Probiotics, Manuka Honey, and More” webinar:
• Probiotics to the keto diet and intermittent fasting; menopausal symptoms, hypnosis, soy and coconut oil
• Vitamins for PMS and PMD; Supplements for prostate health;
• Melatonin for sundowning and sleep; milk thistle and other anti-oxidants for liver health.
• The benefits of Manuka honey—from wound care to periodontal disease;
• Effectiveness of light therapy for SAD
Who Should Attend?:
• All Regulated Health Personnel in Direct Care Roles
• RN’s NP’s, RPN’s LPN’s in Acute Care, Critical Care & Special Care Areas
• Professional Staff in Geriatric, Home, Community and Primary Care settings
• Dietitians, Physiotherapists, Pharmacy Staff etc.
Barb Bancroft, RN, MSN, PNP
Barb Bancroft is a widely acclaimed nursing teacher who has taught courses on Advanced Pathophysiology, Pharmacology, and Physical Assessment to both graduate and undergraduate students. Also certified as a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, she has held faculty positions at the University of Virginia, the University of Arkansas, Loyola University of Chicago, and St. Xavier University of Chicago. Barb is known for her extensive knowledge of pathophysiology and as one of the most dynamic nursing speakers in North America today. Delivering her material with equal parts of evidence based practise, practical application, and humour, she has taught numerous seminars on clinical and health maintenance topics to healthcare professionals, including the Association for Practitioners for Infection Control, The Emergency Nurses’ Association, the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, and more.