120 minutes including a Q&A
• A certificate of completion
• The on-demand recording to watch at your convenience
• A handout in PDF format for viewing or self-printing
At the end of the presentation, participants will be able to…
• List the 3 general classes of Sexual Disorders
• List the Paraphilic Disorders
• Define Gender Dysphoria
• Define autogynephilia and its role in Gender Dysphoria
Sexual Disorders cause significant distress for those affected due to a number of factors: hesitance to discuss, stigma, shame, physical discomfort, fear of rejection and in some cases, the intersection with justice and the courts. This webinar will serve as an introduction to the Sexual Disorders as classified in the DSM so that that participants have a basic understanding of what behaviours define and motivate these disorders, should they arise in their caseloads.
Pre-watching for this session:
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) Comedy, Musical. 7.4 rating on IMDb
We strongly recommend pre-watching the film, as it will enhance your learning experience. The film will provide an opportunity to:
1) Observe common and uncommon symptoms of the mental disorder
2) Provide an appreciation of the environmental factors that can be a catalyst to mental disorders
3) Reflect on the impact – or lack – of a therapeutic environment may have on the metal disorder
4) Understand the impact of media on the public’s stigma of mental health.
Who Should Attend?:
• Physicians, Psychologists, Mental Health & Addictions Nurses, Therapists
• Social Workers & Allied Professional Staff in Psychiatric settings
• Primary Care Physicians & Nurses; MH Staff in Community Settings
• Intake & Frontline Staff; Mental Health Managers and Educators
• Mental Health Nurses and Staff in Correctional & Forensic Settings
• Occupational Health Nurses; Selected staff in Justice Settings
Dr. Anthony Tobia, MD
Having trained in a dual residency in Internal Medicine and Psychiatry at West Virginia University, Dr. Tobia currently holds titles of Professor of Psychiatry and Clinical Professor of Internal Medicine at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Dr. Tobia has dual appointments in the Division of General Internal Medicine and Department of Psychiatry where he serves as the Vice Chair of Education. Dr. Tobia is also certificated by the Board of Psychosomatic Medicine (2010) and is currently the Director of the Division of Consultation Psychiatry at Robert Wood Johnson Barnabas Health in New Brunswick, NJ.
Dr. Tobia’s educational interests include the merging of popular culture and the field of Psychiatry. In addition to the curriculum he developed at RWJMS, he directs the monthly Participatory Cinema at the Rutgers Center of Alcohol Studies; is a blogger for Psychology Today; hosts a continuing education webpage on MyCME; and provides a psychopharmacology seminar series for PESI, Inc. His various innovative teaching approaches including six that are registered in the Office of Research Commercialization at Rutgers University.