Tuesday, February 22, 2022
0900 PT | 1000 MT | 1100 CT/SK | 1200 ET | 1300 AT
120 minutes including a Q&A
• A certificate of completion
• The live webinar event if registering prior to commencement
• The on-demand recording to watch at your convenience
• A handout in PDF format for viewing or self-printing
• Recognize and identify some of the more pervasive myths supporting modern day dieting and weight management
• Briefly explore the science behind the recommendation of specific diets and their long term impact on weight.
• Consider the impact of actionable, but far less dramatic approaches to improving lifestyle irrespective of weight.
• Review some of the default dietary choices served up by our food environment
• Discuss personal responsibility as a failed strategy to defend against weight gain and/or to affect weight loss
Over 30% or more than one in three adults in Canada has obesity and may require medical support to manage their disease. However, individuals trying to navigate weight loss are faced with hundreds of “diet” choices, myths and misinformation. This often results in diet stops, starts, and weight loss followed by regaining weight, leading to a sense of frustration, failure, and feelings of shame, along with the stigma of being overweight. Join world renowned obesity expert Dr. Yoni Freedhoff to discuss the science behind weight management, the food industry, and practical steps to improving lifestyle that will impact weight. In addition, he will discuss personal responsibility as a failed strategy to defend against weight gain and/or to affect weight loss.
Who Should Attend?:
• Nurses in all settings, primary, community, acute & critical care, med-surg,mental health, ambulatory, transition/discharge settings
• New professional staff in Obesity, Bariatric and Diabetic Clinics, Nurses in NP led Clinics
• Dietitians, Occupational Health Care Nurses, Nurse Educators, Tele-Health Nurses
• Pharmacists, Psychologists, Psychotherapists
• All Staff who wish to update their knowledge of Obesity
Dr. Yoni Freedhoff, MD, CCFP
Associate Professor, Department of Family Medicine U of Ottawa
Medical Director and Co-Founder, Bariatric Medical Institute and Constant Health
Very early in his medical career Dr. Freedhoff realized that the medical community, himself included, was not adequately managing obesity. Though many patients requested weight-loss advice he had very little to offer as the management of obesity is simply not taught during medical school or during medical residency. Consequently, Dr. Freedhoff pursued training from the American Board of Obesity Medicine (ABOM), the only medical organization in North America to offer certification in Bariatric medicine, and in March of 2005 he became the third physician in Canada to receive their board certification. In 2007 the Canadian Obesity Network recognized him as a national obesity expert. Since dedicating his professional career to the treatment and management of overweight and obesity, Dr. Freedhoff is an internationally sought after speaker and teacher. In 2011 the University of Ottawa appointed him an Assistant Professor of Family Medicine and he regularly supervises both medical students and residents in his office.
Dr. Freedhoff has been referred to as Canada’s most outspoken obesity expert and the Canadian Medical Association Journal once dubbed him a Canadian “nutritional watchdog”. His advocacy efforts in both obesity and nutrition policy have landed him speaking at both the Canadian House of Commons and Canada’s Senate regarding his concerns surrounding Canada’s Food Guide and as a member of multiple stakeholder groups run by the Public Health Agency of Canada and Health Canada. Dr. Freedhoff is quoted regularly in the national and international press, appears frequently on television including a regular spot on CTV’s Social and appearances on NBC’s Today Show, the BBC’s The Men Who Made Us Thin, CBC’s The Fifth Estate, and Marketplace. Dr. Freedhoff was also featured in the documentaries “Sugar Coated” and “Feeding Frenzy”. Dr. Freedhoff’ sounds off regularly on his award winning blog, Weighty Matters and has contributed to US News and World Report, The Globe and Mail, Vox.com, Greatist.com, Psychology Today, and the Huffington Post.
In an effort to help his colleagues learn more about how to help their patients with weight management, Dr. Freedhoff co-authored a medical textbook on the office-based management of obesity, “Best Weight: A practical Guide to Office-Based Weight Management” which is available at online booksellers and at the insistence of Drs. Freedhoff and Sharma, available freely for download from the Canadian Obesity Network. Dr. Freedhoff’s first book for the public, “The Diet Fix: Why Diets Fail and How to Make Yours Work“, has been a #1 National Canadian bestseller and a Heather’s Pick, and is available at bookstores and online.