Available On-Demand (A: Fundamentals)
Available On-Demand (B: Assess, Dx, Classify, & Treat)
Available On-Demand (C: Crash & Burn: Cardiogenic Shock)
Available On-Demand (D: Advanced Heart Failure)
4 webinars x 120 minutes including a Q&A
Includes (for each webinar):
• A certificate of completion
• The on-demand recording to watch at your convenience
• A handout in PDF format for viewing or self-printing
Heart Failure is a common, disabling and deadly disorder leading to high numbers of hospitalizations and morbidity despite the tremendous benefit that ACE inhibitors have offered. The dramatic deterioration in quality of life and prognosis when a patient progresses from asymptomatic left ventricular dysfunction to overt heart failure is a major challenge for physicians and nurses. This webinar will focus on recent and more comprehensive nursing and medical interventions that are improving outcomes and quality of life for heart failure patient.
Topics for the “A: Fundamentals” webinar:
• A Review of Relevant Cardiovascular Anatomy and Physiology
• A dive into relevant hemodynamics concepts
• Defining heart failure and getting into what actually goes wrong
Topics for the “B: Assess, Dx, Classify & Treat” webinar :
• How do patients with heart failure actually present and what does their physical assessment look like?
• What are the classification and stages of heart failure?
• How is heart failure actually diagnosed?
• Slowing the Spiral: What are the current therapies and treatments for heart failure optimization focusing on: in-depth review of triple therapy including Angiotension Converting Enzyme inhibitors (ACEi), beta blockers and mineralocorticoid receptor antagonists (MRAs) and emerging medical therapies of sacubitril–valsartan and SGLT2 inhibitors
Topics for the “C: Crash & Burn: Cardiogenic Shock” webinar :
• What’s the latest and greatest in the treatment of the patient in Acute Heart Failure/Cardiogenic Shock?
• Profiles of Advanced Heart Failure: INTERMACS Scoring Explained
• When All Else Fails: Mechanical Circulatory Support Including the latest short-term Ventricular Assist Devices (VADs)
Topics for the “D: Advanced Heart Failure” webinar :
• Device therapy explored including implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs) & Cardiac Re-Synchronization Therapy (CRT)
• A look at long-term ventricular assist devices (VADs)
• Indications for Cardiac Transplantation
• Palliative Care and the Heart Failure Patient
Who Should Attend?:
• Medical Surgical, Cardiac, ER, ICU, CVICU and Cath Lab Nurses
• Medical Students, Allied Cardiac Staff; Cardiac and Med-Surg Educators
• Nurses in Rural and Urban Settings; Transition Coordinators
• Educators in Long Term care and Home Care
Christopher Coltman, RN, BScN
Christopher Coltman, a graduate of the UofA Bachelor of Science in Nursing program, has been engaged in cardiac and cardiovascular surgical nursing for over 25 years. He has worked in a variety or settings and countries, including Montreal, London (England) and in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. He has extensive experience in the area of acute coronary syndrome, heart failure and cardiovascular surgery. Chris is well known as an excellent teacher, having over 17 years of teaching experience, and has taught a number of sessions on a variety of topics where his passion for teaching and cardiac care shows. He is currently the Clinical Nurse Educator in the Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit at the Foothills Medical Centre in Calgary.