A: Differentiating Dementias
B: Pharmacological Management of Dementia
C: Non-Pharmacological Management of Dementia
3 webinars x 90 minutes including a Q&A
Includes (for each webinar):
• A certificate of completion
• The on-demand recording to watch at your convenience
• A handout in PDF format for viewing or self-printing
Dementia describes a group of symptoms affecting memory, thinking, and social abilities severely enough to interfere with daily life. It isn’t a specific disease, but several different diseases may cause dementia. In three separate sessions, our webinars series explores how to differentiate the various dementias and how to manage them from both a pharmacological and non pharmacological perspective.
Objectives for the “A: Differentiating Dementias” webinar:
• Identify the signs and symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.
• List appropriate diagnostic tests to achieve accurate diagnosis.
• Devise interventions that are effective and promote positive communication between staff, family & the older adult.
Objectives for the “B: Pharmacological Management of Dementia” Webinar :
• Review psychopharmacological strategies to diminish the occurrence of behavioral problems in individuals with dementia.
• Review common behaviours associated with dementia types
• Understand psychopharmacological mechanism of actions to improve outcomes in geriatric adults
Objectives for the “C: Non-Pharmacological Management of Dementia” Webinar :
• Discuss environmental techniques to diminish challenging behavioural problems.
• Identify how cognitive impairment in older individuals is affected by environment
• Simple non-pharmacological strategies to improve behavioural outcomes in Geriatrics
Who Should Attend?:
• Nurses Who Work With Geriatric Clients in Acute, Long Term, Ambulatory, & Community Settings
• Home Health Care Staff, Geriatric Day Staff
• Nurses in Transition Care, Mental Health Nurses, Neurology Nurses
• Physician Assistants, Medical Social Workers, Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists
Steven Atkinson, PA-C, MS
Steven Atkinson, PA-C, MS, is a Board-Certified Physician Assistant specializing in Geriatric Internal Medicine. He practices medicine in the greater Minneapolis area. In addition to his private practice, he has been on the faculty at the University of Utah since 1994 and involved in medicine for over 30 years. Steven is the co-founder and co-owner of Twin Cities Physicians, which serves older adults in nearly all levels of their care. He has presented internationally for over 15 years, primarily speaking about geriatric-related syndromes. Steven is a published author and sits on several boards whose purpose is to elevate the level of care in medicine for the patients they serve. Steven has been described as a “dynamic” educator and one of the most engaging presenters around. Don’t miss him!