120 minutes including a Q&A
• A certificate of completion
• The on-demand recording to watch at your convenience
• A handout in PDF format for viewing or self-printing
• A brief history of cannabis.
• An understanding of the Older Adults and Healthy Aging.
• The differences between CBD, and THC and how they fit into the Endocannabinoid System.
• How CBD, THC, and other cannabis products are usually dosed.
• How cannabis products can be used in common “Older Adults’” medical conditions including pain, Parkinsons and disordered sleep.
• An understanding of how cannabis products can interact with common medications through the cytokine P450 enzyme system.
Have any of your older clients asked you if they should try CBD for symptoms they may be having? Do you have older clients that are regular users of cannabis? Can cannabis assist with healthy aging? Canadian seniors are the fastest growing users of cannabis. Whether it is CBD, THC or any of the other cannabinoids that come from this ancient plant, health practitioners need to better understand cannabis and its derivatives in order to counsel clients in its use.
Who Should Attend?:
• Nurses, Pharmacists, Dietitians, Physiotherapists, and Allied Health Professionals in:
• Geriatric Settings; Home and Community Care of the Elderly
• Primary Care, Mental Health and Transitional Health Settings
• Medical-Surgical, Orthopaedic and Neuro Units; Pain Clinics
• Nurse Practitioners, Managers and Educators
Kirk Nyqusit and Trevor Shewfelt
Kirk Nyquist, RN, BSN, MA
Kirk has been a long-time advocate of Cannabis. With almost 40 years of nursing, he has deepened his knowledge, interviewing the minds of cannabis scientists, prescribers, users and growers, building his own understanding on how Cannabis applies to nursing practice. He explores plant medicine in a measured and professional manner.
Now nursing across generations, practicing in remote Manitoba communities and as co-host of Reefer Medness – The Podcast, Kirk is exploring how Canadian nurses will gain future professional understanding of cannabis through the Canadian Nursing Association’s “National Nursing Framework and e-Learning Modules for the Legalization of Cannabis” project; in which is sits as an advisor.
An early adaptor of distributive learning technology, this webinar marks a return to the online teaching environment for Kirk and he is excited about it. His approach to web-based instruction is to entertain while applying adult learning experiences.
Trevor Shewfelt, BSc, BSc Pharm, CRE
“What do you mean we can’t sell medicinal cannabis in pharmacies?” Trevor Shewfelt has been a pharmacist since 1997, but since 2017 this question has bloomed into a new passion project.
During his practice, Trevor has become an Asthma Educator, a COPD Educator and a Respiratory Educator. He is certified to give injections, treat self-limiting conditions and deliver smoking cessation programs. He supervised the medications in five Long Term Care (LTC) Homes for about 20 years, including training new LTC nurses on the pharmacology of mental health and dementia in the elderly. Trevor helped design and implement Pharmacist’s Manitoba’s Smoking Cessation Project from 2012-14 and has had various articles published in pharmacy trade magazines. He continues to write weekly newspaper and radio columns about solutions to common health complaints.
Trevor’s interests in health, teaching, writing and radio have culminated in Reefer Medness – The Podcast. With friend and colleague, nurse Kirk Nyquist, Trevor has interviewed pharmacists, nurse practitioners, naturopathic doctors, internists, pharmacologists and various scientists about cannabis. He has talked to patients who use cannabis to make their lives better, attorneys who deal in cannabis law and physicians who treat everything from anxiety, or pain, to sleep or PTSD with cannabis. Each time, Trevor learns something new about cannabis, and how to apply it to his practice. Trevor is excited to share his knowledge and experiences with elder care and how cannabis can assist with healthy aging.