90 minutes including a Q&A
• The on-demand recording to watch at your convenience
• A handout in PDF format for viewing or self-printing
• A certificate of completion
The intensive care unit (ICU) community has faced a tremendous challenge as Coronavirus Disease 2019 has spread across the country. The management of acute respiratory failure has emerged as a key therapeutic strategy in reducing morbidity and mortality in Covid -19 patients. It’s more important than ever to have the latest & up to date information on patient care & management in these patients.
• What is the latest definition and pathophysiology of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) and how does this influence treatment?
• What differences are there with the Covid-19 patient?
• The paradox of “happy hypoxemia” and its clinical implications
• What is lung protective ventilation & which modes of mechanical ventilation work best?
• How does prone positioning improve oxygenation and reduce mortality?
• And finally what is the role of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) in the support of the ARDS patient?
Who Should Attend?:
• Nurses and Allied Health Personnel in Critical Care settings
• Respiratory Therapists, Physiotherapists, Perfusionists, & Medical Interns in all Critical Care settings
• ICU, CCU, CVICU, Cath Lab, Trauma & Surgical ICU Nurses
• Selected Staff in Surgical Suite & Post Anaesthetic Settings
• Experienced Nurses Planning to Seek Careers in Critical Care Settings
Christopher Coltman, RN, BScN
Christopher Coltman, a graduate of the UofA Bachelor of Science in Nursing program, has been engaged in cardiac and cardiovascular surgical nursing for over 25 years. He has worked in a variety or settings and countries, including Montreal, London (England) and in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. He has extensive experience in the area of acute coronary syndrome, heart failure and cardiovascular surgery. Chris is well known as an excellent teacher, having over 17 years of teaching experience, and has taught a number of sessions on a variety of topics where his passion for teaching and cardiac care shows. He is currently the Clinical Nurse Educator in the Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit at the Foothills Medical Centre in Calgary.